Christmas Book Countdown

Jessa May’s Mom started a new holiday tradition this year. She wrapped 25 books to countdown to Christmas. Each day she will unwrap and read a book to Jessa May. This is a great way to help your children read a thousand books before kindergarten. At The Margaret Jones Public Library, they are there to help you reach this goal with your little ones. The Library recognizes the connection between reading to young children early, library use and educational success. The National Commission on Reading concluded that, “The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children.” We are committed to instilling a love for reading in the very young child.  We provide a variety of children’s books in several different age appropriate formats. For babies and toddlers we have durable little board books. For preschoolers through third grade we have picture books. Easy readers allow beginning readers to begin the formal process of reading and word recognition. We have Juvenile nonfiction and chapter books for grades 2 through 8. Kids have their very own card catalog at http://gapines.org/kpac . Only those 350,000-plus books, DVDs, CDs and other items that have been cataloged in PINES as children’s materials will show up in search results. Books & Bubbles is our story time for children ages zero to three and it is presented on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 am. We sing songs, use flannel stories and rhymes, and read books of course in this 20 minute story time. Then we have a time of play. Pre-School Story time is for children ages three to five and it is presented on Thursday mornings at 10 am. In this 60 minute story time we read books, sing songs, and create crafts all related to a theme. Third Thursday Lego Club is for kids of all ages. We provide the Legos. All you have to bring is your imagination. All creations will be on display for everyone to see. This club meets on the third Thursday of each month from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. During the summer months when school is out, the library offers the Summer Reading Program. Research has shown that reading over the summer break helps prevent students from losing ground and helps prepare them for the next school year. Participating in the library’s Summer Reading Program is a great way to stop the “summer slide”. Each year there is a new theme. Check the library’s event calendar for more details.  Whether you need help locating a good book to read or information to complete a school project, we’re here to help. Come by the Library to pick out some holiday books to share with your little ones.

Saying Goodbye To An Angel

A Worth County High School Senior whose life touched many, tragically passed away on Thanksgiving Day. 18 year old Ebony Clark was diagnosed with brain cancer back in 2013 where doctors gave her six months to live. Now, Ebony is remembered by her friends and loved ones as a fighter who loved life. At Clark’s funeral service, her loved ones celebrated her for the beautiful person she was. Assistant Pastor Webbie Hill at Jesus Christ Tabernacle of Deliverance says Ebony was active in the church. He says she was always the first person to volunteer if the church needed something. “To talk about her as a person, I can’t do nothing but smile because that’s all she ever did. Even when she was going through pain and suffering, you would never know it because God kept a smile on her face.” Clark had been battling brain cancer since she was 14 years old although, her friends and family say you would never know it. Her classmate, Keyondria White says that Clark was a friend to everyone. “When she came to our school she acted as if she was just normal as we were. She laughed a lot, she liked to just have fun. She really impacted a lot of us at her school,” said White. Despite missing many classes because of her diagnosis, Clark made it her mission to graduate from high school. “She was able to graduate and get her diploma. And that was one of the goals that she was hoping for. She didn’t hope for, you didn’t hardly ever hear her saying I want to grow up and be this person, she just wanted her diploma,” said Hill. Although her loved ones had mixed emotions when they heard of her passing everyone agrees, she’s in a better place now. “I’ve never heard her raise her voice, she had this little sweet voice. Sounded like a little angel. And I know right now that’s what she’s doing, she’s getting her wings, amen,” said Hill. Monday would have been Ebony’s 19th birthday. The Martin News was honored to be able to attend her graduation ceremony at Worth County High School. That is a day, a moment, I will always treasure.

Source: WFXL News and The Martin News

~ Dates to Remember ~

December

4th ~ WCMS Basketball Games
5th ~ Books & Bubbles at The Margaret Jones Public Library
5th ~ Season of Celebration WCPS Chorus Concert & PTO Meeting
6th ~ Kiwanis Club Meeting in Sylvester
6th ~ School wide Writing Prompt—WCMS
7th ~ Sylvester Christmas Parade
7th ~ WCMS Basketball Games
8th ~ Reading Inventory – WCMS
9th ~ Poulan Christmas Parade
11th ~ WCMS Basketball Games
11th ~ Math Inventory – WCMS
11th ~ Hunter Safety Courses at The Margaret Jones Public Library
12th ~ Hunter Safety Courses at The Margaret Jones Public Library
12th ~ Books & Bubbles at The Margaret Jones Public Library
12th ~ Choral Concert at Unity – Worth Schools
13th ~ Kiwanis Club Meeting in Sylvester
13th ~ Free Legal Help at The Margaret Jones Public Library
14th ~ WCMS Basketball Games
18th ~ City of Sylvester Council Meeting
18th ~ Band Concert at WCMS
19th ~ City of Warwick Council Meeting
19th ~ Good Behavior Break at WCMS
19th ~ Books & Bubbles at The Margaret Jones Public Library
20th ~ Kiwanis Club Meeting in Sylvester
25th ~ Merry Christmas from The Martin News
26th ~ Sylvester – Worth County Family Connections Meeting
26th ~ Disaster Relief Support Group at The Margaret Jones public Library
27th ~ Kiwanis Club Meeting in Sylvester

Do you have an event that needs announced?
Please email your questions or event listings to info@themartinnews.com
and we will get them listed on the calendar.
Thank you for your support to The Martin News.

Say No To Pinkeye

Recently I have had a severe case of pinkeye. I do not ever remember having it like this, if I have ever had this at all. I am still having issues and want to help anyone and everyone to prevent this. Pinkeye is spread through contact with the eye drainage, which contains the virus or bacteria that caused the pinkeye. Touching an infected eye leaves drainage on your hand. If you touch your other eye or an object when you have drainage on your hand, the virus or bacteria can be spread. The following tips help prevent the spread of pinkeye. Wash your hands before and after: Touching the eyes or face and using medicine in the eyes. Do not share eye makeup. Do not use eye makeup until the infection is fully cured, because you could re-infect yourself with the eye makeup products. If your eye infection was caused by bacteria or a virus, throw away your old makeup and buy new products. Do not share contact lens equipment, containers, or solutions. Do not wear contact lenses until the infection is cured. Thoroughly clean your contacts before wearing them again. Do not share eye medicine. Do not share towels, linens, pillows, or handkerchiefs. Use clean linens, towels, and washcloths daily. Wash your hands and wear gloves if you are looking into someone else’s eye for a foreign object or helping someone else apply an eye medicine. When in the wind, heat, or cold, wear eye protection to prevent eye irritation. Wear safety glasses when working with chemicals. If you believe that you are coming down with pinkeye, please call your doctor and get seen. You do not want this to go on without treatment.

One to Keep, One To Eat

I can’t help but smile real big when I look at these pictures! It shows a young girl hard at work volunteering in the garden but also shows her having to take a break and enjoy the crops too! Who can blame her? Not me! When you work so hard to grow your garden and you see what hard work and the Good Lord above can produce, it makes you want to just have a small taste. Janya has been hard at work in the gardens getting the winter crops ready.

Janya enjoys volunteering in her community and being a part of the events. She encourages you to join us all at the Sylvester Christmas Parade this coming Thursday night. It will be fun for all ages. Everyone is excited to see Santa and enjoy all the Christmas lights and music!

Janya along with The Martin News, Men United, Inc and The Sylvester – Worth County Family Connections is collecting coats for the less fortunate this winter season. If you have a new or slightly used coat or jacket that you would like to donate, please email us at info@themartinnews.com and we will be happy to pick them up. Janya appreciates everyone’s help.

Thank you all for your support to the community and for supporting The Martin News, Janya’s Journey.